Tuesday 12 March 2019

What happens when maths goes wrong?

A few nights ago I was relaxing in front of the screen, watching Matt Parker give a talk at the Royal Institution.

You know how it is.  It's about 10 o'clock at night.  The 8-year-old is in bed asleep.  The 11-year-old is almost in bed, but dragging things out quietly so you don't notice.  You just want to relax with a bit of maths.

Mulan quietly sat down next to me and started watching alongside me.  We ended up watching about half of the hour-long talk together.

But eventually it got too late and we had to stop it, unfinished.  Mulan informed me that I wasn't allowed to finish watching it alone, and I had to wait until the next day to watch the remainder with her.

What could I say?  Deprive her of learning some maths?

So, the next day we watched the rest of it together.  Miya joined us too.

If you want an awesome piece of maths advice, skip to 3 min 50 sec in the above linked video.

Matt Parker is always really inspiring with his maths videos.  His standup maths YouTube channel is excellent.  I've just requested from the library his two books, Humble Pi and Things to make and do in the fourth dimension.

No comments:

Post a Comment