Tuesday 29 December 2020

More rock climbing

Miya and I are continuing to rock climb a few times a week (two and a half months since we first started).

Yesterday, I completed my first yellow!!

Miya and I have got different climbing styles/strengths; she can do some climbs that I can't do, and vice versa.  She's got the finger strength and endurance, while I've got the arm reach and pullup strength.

Yesterday, Miya also completed a new green that I haven't yet done (I fell after just touching, but not securing, the top hold!).

The only reason Miya couldn't do the yellow one I did was that I had the long reach to the final hold at the top.  Miya's working on an extra heel hook, and is close but not quite there yet.

I think I'm right to say that Miya has completed six greens, while I've completed five greens and a yellow.

With climbing so often, Miya and I are starting to try activities and projects, rather than just turn up and climb:

  1. Yesterday, we tried eliminating a limb and climbing with three limbs only.  We managed to do a blue without a leg/foot, and an orange without an arm/hand.  It was surprisingly scary, often off-balance and unsecured.
  2. We're also doing more projecting.  We're currently working on a few tougher climbs (greens and yellows), breaking them down into sections and working on each section separately.  One activity we tried was to project a climb for 20 minutes, then project another climb for 20 minutes, then return to the first climb and make three attempts at it, then do the same for the second climb.
  3. I'm starting to do a bit more on the campus board, working on pullups and finger strength.
  4. We're sometimes doing circuits on an inclined wall.

We've booked Miya in for climbing classes in term 1.  I expect with advice from the experts she'll go beyond me very soon.

UPDATE 30/12/2020: Miya and I repeated our new climbs, this time on video.  Me doing a yellow:


And Miya on the green:

No comments:

Post a Comment