Friday 1 August 2014

Ten years

Ten years ago today, Mama and I met for the first time.

It was in Malaysia, on the island of Penang.  I was there doing a bit of a post-university holiday OE.  Mama was there for a short holiday break during her teaching work in Thailand.

The previous day, I had already noticed Mama while wandering around George Town.  She stood out because she looked like a very competent and confident solo traveller, with her backpack and Thai-style pants.  I only noticed her for a minute or so as she walked in front of me before she turned a corner and I continued on straight ahead.

So, I was surprised when I saw her again the following day.  I had caught a bus out to the funicular railway that goes up Penang Hill.  I had gone to a nearby temple first, and was walking up to the railway entrance when I saw Mama in front of me.  When I got there, I discovered that the railway was closed for repairs, so, after looking around the station for a bit, I wandered back out again.

Outside, once again I saw Mama in front of me, so I walked a little faster to catch up to her.  As I drew alongside her, I smiled at her, but I couldn’t think what to say.  Luckily, Mama spoke first, and we started chatting as we walked.  She asked me about the nearby temple.  Since I had already been there, and I wanted to keep talking with Mama, I told her it was just so-so.  I said I was planning to catch a bus to Batu Ferringhi, which was supposedly a nice beach area.  I can’t remember who said what, but Mama decided to come along with me.

After spending the rest of the day together, we decided to meet up again the following morning to do a 20 km walk along the length of the island.  By the end of the day, Mama had impressed me with her strength and quiet confidence.  Catching the return bus, I think I was the one whose legs were aching the most.  During our walk, Mama informed me that she was a university academic.  I concluded to myself that here was the perfect woman.  (Clearly, I still didn’t know her that well!!)

We spent the next few days together, before I had to catch my flight back to New Zealand on the sixth.  Needless to say, we kept in touch.  Mama came to visit me in New Zealand a few months later, and less than a year later I had moved to China to live.

Two years to the day after we first met, or eight years ago today, we returned to Penang Hill together.  This time the railway was open.  At the top of the hill, I proposed to Mama, and she accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment