Tuesday 21 January 2014

Going Straight

In two months, my Big Sis and her family will arrive here in China.  It will be their first visit to the Middle Kingdom.  In fact, it will be the children’s first trip outside of New Zealand/Australia.  I expect there will be some culture shock.

With this in mind, I thought that I’d share some of the differences that I have experienced here in China.  Just a few short paragraphs each time, as and when I think of it.

---

Young children walk quite slowly.  So, it is not uncommon that when we are out walking in the street some people will pass us from behind.  Sometimes it is someone walking, and sometimes it is someone on a bike.  No big deal.

But a curious thing happens at intersections.  Suppose we are walking straight through.  But suppose that someone coming up behind us wants to turn the corner.  In such a crowded country as China, it is not unusual for these people turning to catch up to us at the moment we reach the intersection.  What should they do if they can’t pass on the side they are turning?

In New Zealand, it would be obvious that the person coming from behind would slow down a little, wait for the ones in front to continue on past the intersection, then turn without passing.

But Chinese do things differently.  There is no slowing and waiting.  It happens repeatedly that people have overtaken me, only to then turn directly in front of me, forcing me to stop and wait for them to pass.

Do I feel angry about this?  Well, yeah.  Should I?  I don’t know.

Since it hasn’t just happened once or twice, I have to think that these people weren’t just being inappropriately rude.  I have come to the conclusion that maybe I am a product of a culture that fetishises going straight.  What makes me so sure that my going straight is more important than someone else’s turning a corner?  One of us will have to slow down.  Why should I assume that it is the turning person who should wait for me?  Why shouldn’t I be the one to wait?

When put like this, on most days I just stop and wait patiently.

But some days I have been known to just keep walking, and knock into the bike, sending the bike wobbling on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment