Friday 8 February 2019

Rock climbing

Mulan, Miya and I have just got back from our local indoor rock climbing wall.

Inspired by Miya's abseiling at MERC the other day, we decided to head on over to the rock climbing wall at the Birkenhead Pool and Leisure Centre.  We took our lunch and were there for over 5 hours.

This was the first time that the girls had done rock climbing.  As a university student I used to climb a fair bit, but it must be about 20 years since I last pulled on the harness.

The climbing instructor at the leisure centre showed us the ropes, so to speak, and we signed a few forms to say as much, and then for the rest of the time we were pretty much entirely on our own on the climbing wall.  (I think in all the time we were there maybe a couple of climbers briefly came and went on the wall.)  I guess all the normal people were at work or at school.  Homeschooling is a great life!

I belayed both Mulan and Miya, but if I wanted to climb I had to I put my life in Mulan's hands.  Fortunately she is a good learner, and the instructor taught her well how to belay me.

We all had lots of fun, and we returned home with pleasantly aching muscles.

Mulan and Miya took lots of photos of our day:




And here's where the old man reminisces about the olden days:


This was also at the Birkenhead wall, back in 1997.  This photo was in the local newspaper, alongside an article describing how the four of us were planning a three-month trip to South America to do some climbing.  Long story short, we went to South America, but things definitely didn't go as planned over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment