Sunday 24 February 2019

Solo dad-ing again

Mama is away in Australia at the moment for work, so I'm solo dad-ing again.

It's just a short trip, from Friday morning to Tuesday night, and the time is speeding by quickly.

One of Mama's many jobs is that she is part of a Hong Kong TV documentary team.  Currently they are doing a documentary series on Westerners who had an influence on early modern China.  This particular episode is about Morrison of Peking, and so Mama is in Melbourne interviewing some people about him.  Prior to this, Mama was also the main researcher for the episode on Sir Thomas Wade.  I understand that while they are in Melbourne they'll also spend time planning their next documentary series, on education.

---

The fact that Mama is away has probably given more salience to a couple of things I recently read/watched.

The book I am reading at the moment is a collection of short stories by various authors, edited by N. K. Jemisin (who I wrote about recently).

The stand-out story for me so far (they are all excellent, by the way) is Caroline M. Yoachim's Carnival Nine.  It is an incredibly powerful story about life.  I found an online version of it here.  I highly recommend it.

Another story about life (and death) is this video about Herbert Fingarette, who tells us that "being 97 has been an interesting experience".  I remember reading some of Fingarette's works when I was at university (he was one of the big names in Chinese philosophy).

No comments:

Post a Comment