Wednesday 17 February 2021

Te Tiriti o Waitangi

We've just read Te Tiriti o Waitangi.

Okay, so not specifically the Treaty (of Waitangi) itself, but a cartoon booklet put out by the Ministry of Education.

It's a quick and simple intro for kids, written as a leveled reader for Mulan-aged children with a reading level of Miya-aged children.

I learnt of it via a Facebook homeschooling group, where the poster opined that "bias is showing".  (Unfortunately, the poster didn't detail the biases.)

I'm no expert, but I think it was a pretty good and fair summary, and well worth reading.  But happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable.  (I take it that the guy at the beginning represents many of my generation, and I think it's great that a more nuanced understanding is now being taught.)

No comments:

Post a Comment