Tuesday 9 February 2021

Athletics Auckland Champs

Mulan and I competed at the Auckland athletics championships over the weekend.  The results are here.

As always, there was some good and some not so good, but on the whole it was good.

Mulan got the bad out of the way first up, when she got three no jumps in the long jump on Saturday.  The jumps were very good, but unfortunately she had too much power in the runup and overstepped the board each time.  This week we're going to have a look at her runup and make some adjustments.

Then it was onto the good.

Mulan got a new PB in the 80m hurdles, with 14.79sec.  What's really encouraging is that she could probably get even faster, as she knocked a hurdle and stumbled a bit.  Each race she does she's getting faster.

Finally, Mulan's triple jump on Sunday went perfectly.  She was aiming for over 9.50m with a legal wind (she'd previously got a wind-assisted 9.73m).  And she did it, jumping 9.55m (wind -1.0).  This got her a silver medal!

As for me, my 5.29m long jump was the best I've done in five years.  My 10.85m triple jump was the best I've done in 24 years, and bettered my Takapuna Athletic Club Veteran Men record.  And my 8.30sec 60m was okay.

UPDATE 11/2/2021: We've just heard from Takapuna Athletic Club that Mulan's 9.55m triple jump is recognised as a new Under 16 club record.  Well done Mulan!  And she still has until the end of 2022 in this grade to get even further.

The record books will now show that I've got the Under 16 Boys triple jump record (12.51m in 1991), and exactly 30 years later Mulan has the Under 16 Girls record!

My 10.85m triple jump, while further than my 10.59m club record, is not recognised as a club record.  Apparently (and weirdly!) the Veteran/Masters age group can only get club records at clubnights -- records cannot be broken at other competitions.  For all other age groups (such as with Mulan) club records can be broken at other competitions.  I have no idea why the club has this rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment